Researchers from the CSIRO and Monash University have conducted extensive testing on the performance of water tanks in bush fires. They found:
Stainless Steel Tanks did not burn or split when fully exposed to fire for over 30 minutes. They became slightly scorched but there was no structural damage and only minor water loss.
For more information see: www.bushfirecrc.com
Aquaplate (Colorbond) Tanks maintained structural integrity in a fire but when the temperature reached above 65 degrees, the thin plastic lining on the inside of the tank began to delaminate, causing slight water loss.
Polyethelene (plastic) Tanks quickly split and collapsed in a fire, emptying themselves and melting down.
Local Council Regulations
Most Councils in fire prone areas have developed a set of regulations for property owners to manage bushfire risks in these areas. For example:
- Installing a metal tank
- Minimum of 10,000 litres reserved capacity for fire-fighting purpose
- Special fittings need to be installed so the Rural Fire Service can fit their appliance to your tank
Please check the Council regulations for your area.
Select Water Tanks have developed a special package to assist your bushfire planning. It includes:
- A stainless steel water tank to your size and shape
- A Bianco fire-fighting quality standard pump (see Pumps and Filters)
- A 65mm Storz fitting for NSW or a Camlock fitting for QLD for quick connection to your pump or to the local RFS system.
- 30 metres of fire-fighting hose and nozzle
- 5 metres of high-suction hose together with a Storz (NSW) or Camlock (QLD) coupling to allow fast connection to your tank
Please check with our staff for more detail
A Recommended Option
Many people have decided to purchase a combination water tank. For this option you order a tank above 20,000 litres in size for example, and install an outlet tap up the side of the tank at the desired level so the water above this outlet can be used for home use while the water below the outlet is held in reserve for emergency fire-fighting purposes.
More Than Just a Manufacturer of Steel Rainwater Tanks
Select Water Tanks make steel water tanks that are longer lasting, better looking, healthier, and can be custom made in terms of shape and size. They can be made from either grade 304, marine grade 316 stainless steel or aquaplate steel.
Knowledge & Experience
25 years manufacturing experience.
Highest quality Stainless steel water tanks backed by 30 years non corrosion warranty. Our Aquaplate Tanks are backed by 20-years non corrosion warranty.
We are the first Australian company to design and manufacture stainless steel water tanks.
We find the perfect solution for your rainwater harvesting system needs.